Re: Evolution!!

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 21:30:03 -0500

At 10:49 AM 7/20/98 +1000, Donald Howes wrote:
>>Because they are not applying a consistent selection pressure over the past
>>100 years. A few experiments place one set of selection pressures on the
>>bug for a few years and then the authors write a paper and go on to another
>>problem. For a scientist to spend a lifetime on a long term, multi-human
>>generation generation experiment as would be required to fundamentally
>>alter the fly, would mean that the guy never published an article. Few want
>>to do that. Even the space experiments sent up on satellites or martian
>>probes, which may take 20 years of a researcher's time, create complaints
>>that there is too much of one's life spent on one experiment. Nobody wants
>>to do an experiment whose results will not be published for another 10,000
>>years!
>>glenn
>
>I dont understand this, I may well be just plain stupid, but what does
>selective pressure do? I take it you are not talking about random
>mutations, selective pressure sounds like natural selection, impling micro
>evolution. Aren't we saying that random, or even not-totally-random
>mutations are what change things most, how does this need selective pressure?

You are anything but stupid. Let's do an analogy. If I release a robot that
is able to move in any direction but I attach a rubber band and attach it
to the east wall, the robot will preferentially move to the east in spite
of it's ability to move in any direction at all. There is a force pulling
it to the east. Selective pressure in a constant direction is like that
rubber band. But if I change the wall that the rubber band is attached to
every second and do it randomly, then the combined motions of my movable
robot plus the pull of the rubber band will make the robot move randomly.
This is what the experimenters have done, changed the experimental
selective pressure with each new experiment. The experiments were not
designed to pull the flies in the same direction.

Consider the situation where you want to find a fly that lives at higher
temperatures. To do that, you must raise each generation of fly in higher
and higher temperature. This is constant selective pressure. If you raise
and lower the temperature randomly, then you probably won't get the fly
genome to get the message that a higher temperature fly is needed.

Selective pressure is different than random mutation. Random mutation will
create a higher or lower temperature fly. The environment and natural
selection will decide what percentage of high or low temp flies reproduce
most effectively
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood