Re: Evolution

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 21:38:19 -0500

Hi Francis,

At 09:25 PM 7/18/98 -0400, Francis Maloney wrote:
>A horse and a donkey can interbreed but produce sterile
>offspring. Assuming a common ancestor, have they diverged to the point
>where they are no longer of the same "kind"?
> On the other hand, shifts in relative gene frequencies certainly are
>not evidence of evoution.

A minor correction here. About 1 in 10,000 donkeys are fertile!
(."~Lorraine Travis, The Mule, J. A. Allen, 1990, p 68-69)

I don't know the technical details of how this happens but some animals seem
to evolve by chromosomal fusion and chromosomal breakage. Przewalski's horse
is the horse that was drawn on cave walls in Europe. It is now extinct in
Europe but was found alive in central Asia. It has 66 chromosomes. The
modern horse has 64. It was not found alive until the late 1800's. It is
believed that either Przewalski's horse arose from the modern horse by
chromosomal breakage or that the modern horse arose from Przewalski's by
chromosomal fusion. These two horses can breed and produce fertile
offspring. The two broken chromosomes of the Przewalski align with the
unbroken one of the modern horse. By this means, gene flow can take place
between these two creatures. There is other evidence of this type of
evolution in equines. The donkey has 62, Burchell's zebras (or "plains
zebra") have 44 chromosomes, but some have 45 chromosomes due to a
chromosome that broke in two. If two 45-chromosome zebras mated, it is
possible that you could get a 46-chromosome Burchell's zebra! Persian
onagers can have 55 or 56 chromosomes; kulans can have 54 or 55; and kiangs
can have 55 or 56.