Re: Evolution!! (D. Howes)

Ed Brayton (cynic@net-link.net)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 19:59:45 -0400

Ron Chitwood wrote:

> about every thing I said tonight, everything was absolutely true...and
> you had been standing around when Triceratops evolved, and you saw some
> Monoclonius running around with one big horn and the two little ones and
> then some eggs hatched out, some more Monoclonius came out except these
> had 3 big horns<<<<
>
> One flaw in this type reasoning is that it HAS been tried all ready with
> Drosophila. Mutations by ID have been done over the years that simulates
> as far as possible random selection by mutation. The only thing
> accomplished is a poor fruit fly minus wings, too many eyes, etc., etc.
> Its STILL a fly.

That is precisely the point that Miller was making. No matter what
evolutionary change you were there to observe, you would say the same
exact thing. If you were there to see the dentary changes among
therapsid reptiles that led to mammals, you would say, "It's just a
therapsid reptile with an unusual jaw joint. This isn't macroevolution."

If evolutionary biologists could point to a concrete
> example of macroevolution there would be trumpets in the heavens announcing
> it.

If creationists could come up with a coherent definition of
macroevolution, there might be a way to meet it. Where is the line
drawn? At the species level? Family? Class? Order? The word "kind" has
no meaning in taxonomy.

Ed