Re: Evolution!! (D. Howes)

Donald Howes (dhowes@grug.une.edu.au)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:46:35 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

I dont think it's as simple as that, if experimentally it was impossible
to find a distinction between macro and micro I don't think these terms
would have even been applied! As I see it, there are some kind of genetic
boundries that mean dogs are dogs, for all our engeneering, they are still
dogs. And more importantly, they can only vary so much, without mutation
they can't change more than that.

There are many examples of evolution that show a horse evolving into a
bigger horse for example, but beyond that there is very little evidence of
anything. I think that things like this are evidence for a difference
between macro and micro. The fact that we can't clearly define the
boundries doesn't mean they are not there. Our fly is still a fly, and yet
it has changed much, and into many varieties of fly, but it is still a
fly. On that evidence alone I could presume that there are boundries,
otherwise it would be just as easy to make a moth out of our fly as it
would be to make just another variety if fly!

I think what I am trying to say is that there is genetic information in a
creature that has room for certain variation, like a little dog to a
massive beast of a dog, but beyond that, you need new information. I have
no idea if random mutation can create more information or not, so I won't
comment. If you want to see micro evolution, you can recreate it in a lab,
if you can't recreate it, it's probably macro! Thats my definition of the
difference, I just made up, I like it.

Donald

Donald Howes
Acting Systems Manager
Research services
UNE

"I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God for
everyone who believes" Romans 1:16