Re: More fine-tuning: ice holes in Antarctic aerate our

Donald Howes (dhowes@ansc.une.edu.au)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:21:54 +1000

This is cool, the world is a truely amazing place. One question though.....

At 09:10 PM 12/07/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 05:26 AM 7/13/98 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:
>>Reflectorites
>>
>>Here is an interesting article from our local newspaper, mentioning
>>yet another `fine-tuned' feature of our world which makes life as
>>we know it possible. Three giant water `sinks' create millions of
>>cubic metres of oxygen-rich bottom water a second and a ring of
>>clear water around the globe which enables the Antarctic circumpolar
>>current to recirculate the bottom water around the globe.
>>
>>Sounds like Someone set up a giant `aquarium' complete with
>>oxygenators and a circulation pump to enable us `goldfish' to
>>breathe!
>>
>>It's nice to know that something `down under' here has some use!
>>Maybe we should start charging you folks up there for the
>>oxygen? :-)
>>
>>Seriously, this is yet another Intelligent Design feature that we can
>>praise God for!
>While the article is interesting, this may not be an evidence of
>intelligent design. There is more to the story. In the early Tertiary
>(Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene) the climate of the earth was uniformly warm.
>Then continental drift broke the last bridge between Antarctica and the
>northern continents. This had the effect of isolating Antarctica and
>causing the climate to deteriorate.

If the world was uniformly warm, that would mean there would be
insignificant air currents, which could also mean that there would not be
high and low air pressure areas, which could suggest that there may not
have been any rain pre Noah. That may well be a rediculas conclusion to
come to, but I did read on this list that the idea of there not being any
rain pre Noah was stupid because there have always been big difference in
temperatures in different parts of the world, creating air currents etc.

Donald
Donald Howes
Acting Research Systems Co-ordinator
Research Services
University of New England
Ph 6773 3263

"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the
salvation of everyone who believes" Romans 1:16