Re: Evolution!!

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 15:26:42 -0500

Hi Ron,
At 06:54 AM 7/11/98 -0500, Ron Chitwood wrote:
>But it is a huge leap of faith to
>believe that, even given the huge amounts of time required, that a dinosaur
>could turn into a bird, or a fish into a land animal, especially since
>every known attempt in a laboratory setting indicates it cannot happen.

Wait a minute. You are saying that laboratory and breeding experiments
have proven that evolution can't occur. But you also acknowledge that huge
amounts of time are required. And you are correct in acknowledging the
huge amount of time. It can take several tens of thousands of years for
two divergent lineages to become separate species. So, are you saying that
laboratory experiments have been conducted for more than 10,000 years and
they have shown that evolution can't occur? I don't think any experiment
has been going on that long. And if an experiment has not been
consistently carried out for the past 10,000 years or more, then you can't
say that experiments have indicated anything!

The lineage of coyote and wolf have been separate for about a million years
yet they can still interbreed. Given that they have 1 litter per year this
represents a million generations. How long does a million generations
represent in the popular laboratory fruit fly? The fruit fly's generation
is about 2 weeks long. 26/year. One million fortnights is 38,000 years.
So if you think that laboratory experiments on drosophila melanagaster have
disproven that evolution can occur, you must realize that there hasn't been
enough time in the past 80 years of lab experiments.

> As
>one example, mutations produced by the intelligent design of scientist
>nearly always are, at the most, neutral, usually detrimental and sometimes
>lethal to the animal. So far as is known, there never has been a case
>where mutations made the animal better rather than worse. Yet this had to
>happen if the evolutionary theory is to work.

What about bacterial resistance to antibiotics? That is beneficial. What
about the mutation in that Italian family in the 1700s that makes them
immune to the effects of cholesterol?
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood