Re: Evolution!!

Ron Chitwood (chitw@flash.net)
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 06:54:46 -0500

That is a big subject to write on! It is the major subject of this
discussion and it has been going on for years. I'll try to distill it from
my perspective.

I think it needs to be understood completely that we are discussing a
theory. Darwin came up with a seminal idea after viewing finches on the
Galapagos Islands in the Pacific that they adapted themselves naturally to
the environmental conditions on each island. If they could do this from
natural selection why couldn't it be expanded to the idea that all of life
could have been generated the same way, leaving the idea of 'God created"
out of the equation entirely. thus the Theory of Evolution was born.

In my opinion, the Evolutionary Theory must be broken down into Micro (or
minor) and Macro (or major) steps. Microevolution, the adaptation of
species to a situation, has been known for centuries. Cows can be bred to
give more milk or produce more meat, horses can be bred to run faster or
pull a plow, chickens can be bred to fight to the death or increase the
production of eggs. That is what Darwin saw in the finches of the
Galapagos. Variation within species. But it is a huge leap of faith to
believe that, even given the huge amounts of time required, that a dinosaur
could turn into a bird, or a fish into a land animal, especially since
every known attempt in a laboratory setting indicates it cannot happen. As
one example, mutations produced by the intelligent design of scientist
nearly always are, at the most, neutral, usually detrimental and sometimes
lethal to the animal. So far as is known, there never has been a case
where mutations made the animal better rather than worse. Yet this had to
happen if the evolutionary theory is to work.

It is the idea that 'God created...' therefore that is the most logical,
most thoughtful approach to the beginning of things.

Ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth
shall make you free. John 8:32
Ron Chitwood
chitw@flash.net