Sorry Brian, here comes the nosepicking

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 14:09:12 -0500

At 08:03 AM 6/13/98 -0500, Ron Chitwood wrote:

>> sentence is the conveying of a particular meaning. This is the
>> function of a string of letters. Now, Gish could have said, "The
>> biological activity of each protein is due to the arrangement of
>> the amino acids, just as the meaning imparted by this sentence is
>> determined by the sequence of the 152 letters in it." or "The
>> enzymatic activity of a protein is caused by the order of the
>> amino acids, just as the meaning of this sentence is given by the
>> order of the 125 letters in it." <<<
>
>Not sure what you are driving at. All this shows is order to disorder,
>something I and 2LoT agree with. Please elucidate.

This goes to the heart of the probability argument that anti-evolutionists
use. They say things like: "His calculations involved the probability of
the formation of a single protein molecule by chance. Du Nouy concluded
that the odds against the formation of a single protein molecule were so
large as to be virtually equivalent to the utterly impossible." Paul
Zimmerman, "Evidence for Creation", in Paul Zimmerman, ed. _Darwin,
Evolution And Creation_ (St. Louis: Concordia, 1959), p. 96

To randomly manufacture a pre-specified protein like oxytocin is quite
unlikely. Oxytocyn is an 8 amino acid protein and to make it by chance only
happens 1 time out of 40,320. There are 20 amino acids so the choice of
what amino acid to choose at each position requires selecting one out of 20
amino acids. For 8 it is

20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20 x 20= 40320

The Texas lottery has 50 choices then 49 then 48 then 47 then 46 then 45.
this is why few win the darn thing.

Now, the problem with the probability argument is that it assumes that only
one sequence of letters can perform the function. This is not true. The
function of a sentence is to convey information, a particular piece of
information. But while it may be unlikely to get a PARTICULAR seqeunce, the
odds of finding A sequence is not that high. Below are the some of the
ways to perform the function of conveying the knowledge that if you pick
your nose you will get warts. I have a 56 kilobyte file with different ways
to say this very simple statment. And I didn't even count on typos.
consider the sentence 'every nos peecker gits worts'. You could probably
figure out what I am saying. here is a partial list.

every nose picker gets warts -28
each nose picker gets warts -27
any nose picker gets warts -26
nose pickers get warts -22
all nose pickers get warts -26
the class of nose pickers get warts -35
as a class nose pickers get warts -33
the group nose pickers get warts -32
as a group nose pickers get warts -33
a nosepicker will get warts -27
get warts from picking bugers -29
get warts from picking nose -27
get wart from picking nose -26
nosepickgetwart -15
picknosegetwart -15
pickbugergetwart -16
getbugergetwart -15
bugersgivewarts -15
picking noses begets warts -26
picking noses generates warts -29
a wart is bred by sticking a finger in a nose
a wart is bred by placing a finger in a nose
a wart is bred by situating a finger in a nose
a wart is bred by encamping a finger in a nose
warts are caused by encamping a finger up a nose
warts are caused by sticking the finger in the nose
warts are caused by placing the finger in the nose
warts are formed by placing your finger up your nose
removing bugers from your nose promulgates warts
dislodging any buger from your nose produces warts
a nose picker always induces warts
a nose picker always forms warts
a nose picker always makes warts
a nose picker always manufactures warts
a nose picker always produces warts
when you put your finger in your nose you get warts
The nose picker gets warts

Replace warts with :
protuberances
skin protuberances
small tumors
hypertrophy of the corium
dermal growths
callused bumps
callus covered bumps
callused growths
callus covered growths

buger picking.
snot picking
dried nasal drip

names for nose

nares,
nostril,
snaut,
nostrils,
schnozzle,
nasal openings,
nasal passages,
nasal entrances,
nasal apertures,
nasal holes,
buger receptical,
by or next to the nasal septum

longest:
a hypertrophy of the corium is promulgated by situating your finger in your
buger receptical.-92 characters including spaces 78 without spaces

total possible combos 22 letters 22^92 = 3.18 x 10^123

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood