Re: starvation all over the world

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:04:19 -0400

At 08:03 AM 6/13/98 -0500, Ron wrote:

GM:==
>one
>sequence will provide the specified function. That is where the
>creationist mathematical argument fails.<<<
>You apparently disagree with the book MATHEMATICAL CHALLENGES TO THE
>NEO-DARWINIAN INTERPRETATION OF EVOLUTION, edited by Moorhead and Kaplan,
>as retold in CREATION AND EVOLUTION by Hayward, pp 38

>> sentence is the conveying of a particular meaning. This is the
>> function of a string of letters. Now, Gish could have said, "The
>> biological activity of each protein is due to the arrangement of
>> the amino acids, just as the meaning imparted by this sentence is
>> determined by the sequence of the 152 letters in it." or "The
>> enzymatic activity of a protein is caused by the order of the
>> amino acids, just as the meaning of this sentence is given by the
>> order of the 125 letters in it." <<<

Ron:==
>Not sure what you are driving at. All this shows is order to disorder,
>something I and 2LoT agree with. Please elucidate.

I think you're almost there Ron :-). The most important thing to
keep in mind is that words such as order, disorder, complexity,
randomness etc. have technical meanings that are quite different
from their meanings in everyday conversation. As Yockey is always
saying "Don't draw meaning from the words themselves." In other
words, in info theory "information" is a placeholder for a term
in a mathematical expression. Its meaning draws from the mathematics
and not from Websters dictionary.

An increase in information content is a decrease in order or an
increase in disorder. Likewise, an increase in complexity is
an increase in disorder.

Elsewhere you wrote:

First GM:==
> [...]

This can be compressed to

2ABCDEFGHIJ.<<<<

Ron:==
>Sorry, but I don't see where this is leading. No new information has been
>provided, only 2 different ways of expressing the same thing. What is the
>point?

You are right, two ways of saying the same thing, but one is shorter.
In algorithmic information theory, the information content is taken
from the shortest possible description. So,

ABCDEFGHIJABCDEFGHIJABCDEFGHIJABCDEFGHIJABCDEFGHIJABCDEFGHIJ

contains little more information than

ABCDEFGHIJ

This reminds me of the mechanism for increasing genetic information
mentioned by Yockey in his book. First there is a duplication of a
sequence of DNA. As above, this involves a minor increase in information,
nothing to write home about. Later, though, the duplicated sections
may aquire new functions. When this happens there is a tremendous
increase in information.

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics
The Ohio State University

"It appears to me that this author is asking
much less than what you are refusing to answer"
-- Galileo (as Simplicio in _The Dialogue_)