Where did whales come from?

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 21:47:39 -0500

Stephen,

It is time to leave the charges and invectives behind. I will address the
issue of where the whale came from. You cite Stanley:

>"Within perhaps twelve million years, most of the living orders of mammals
>were in existence, all having descended from simple, diminutive animals
>that might be thought of as resembling small rodents..." (Stanley S.M., "The
>New Evolutionary Timetable," 1981, p93).

Stanley is not saying that whales came from rodents in spite of how you
read this. He is saying that the ORDERS of mammals came from animals
*resembling* rodents. The word *resembling* is important here. If I say
you resemble Pres. Bill Clinton, that doesn't mean you ARE Bill Clinton.
Similarly an animal that 'resembles' a rodent isn't necessarily a rodent.
A case in point is the marsupial mouse from Australia which *resembles* a
rodent but isn't one.

So I don't find this convincing evidence that Stanley believes that rodents
gave rise to whales.

Again you quote Stanley:

>"All of these longevities must be judged in light of how long it has taken
for
>new higher taxa of the same group to develop. Recall, for example, that early
>in the Cenozoic Era, whales evolved from vastly different small, rodentlike
>mammals in no more than 12 million years." (Stanley S.M., "Earth and Life
>Through Time", 1989, pp156-157).

I don't have this book so I can't check the quotation (you are very good at
getting the quotation correct so I believe you that this is what he wrote).
However, once again, Stanley said rodentlike not rodent. However, I don't
think that anyone other than maybe Stanley believed that whales arose from
rodent-like critters. If he had said wolf-like I would have agreed. As far
back as my books go, whales have been believed to have arisen from Creodont
mesonychids, not rodents or rodent-like animals.