Re: Attacks

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 06:41:41 +0800

Glenn

On Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:25:26 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:

>SJ>Thanks for being so frank. But brazening it out by "proudly plead guilty"
>>won't work.It just *cannot* be Christian to destructively criticise the
>>positions of leading Christian apologists like Phil Johnson and Hugh Ross.
>It >can be Christian to *constructively* criticise the positions of these
>leading >apologists.

GM>So when they are wrong, factually wrong, I am not to point it out because
>it is unchristian? I have sent messages to Phil on the rodent issue, I
>have sent messages through his friends who have assured me that they
>contacted him about the 'rodents gave rise to whales' and 'rodents gave
>rise to bats' error he makes. He claims it is a joke and doesn't see any
>reason to change. I don't see the humor.

Why don't you send messages to Steven Stanley, also, because he wrote:

"Within perhaps twelve million years, most of the living orders of mammals
were in existence, all having descended from simple, diminutive animals
that might be thought of as resembling small rodents..." (Stanley S.M., "The
New Evolutionary Timetable," 1981, p93).

Or why don't you send messages to other evolutionists, like Rensberger (former
Senior Editor of SCIENCE), who wrote:

"If gradualism were correct, one could hope to find the fossil bones of
creatures that were transitional between, say, the early rodent-
like mammals and a giraffe, or the species intermediate between a
primitive fish and the first land-dwelling vertebrate." (Rensberger B.,
"Modern Synthesis," in "How the World Works," , 1986, p260)

Picking on Johnson because he wrote that:

"A Darwinist can imagine that a mutant rodent might appear with a web
between its toes, and thereby gain some advantage in the struggle for
survival, with the result that the new characteristic could spread
through the population to await the arrival of further mutations
leading eventually to winged flight." (Johnson P.E., "Darwin on Trial,"
1993, pp103-104)

is just scraping the bottom of the barrel. This shows that your *real*
goal is to find any fault (real or imaginary), in any Christian apologist who
attacks evolution, in order to discredit that apologist.

>SJ>But on your own admission, this is *not* what you do. Your criticism is
>>*destructive* not constructive. Your aim is to *destroy* their positions,
>not >just correct them in love.

GM>Actually I have tried but they don't like what I say.

So, if Christian apologists "don't like what" you "say", you then set about
trying to discredit them?

>>GM>In the marketplace of ideas, an idea survives only if it can stand up to
>>>criticism. Ideas that are no good or are erroneous must be criticised.
>>>Ideas that are correct, can't be destroyed. The concept a few years ago
>>>about cold fusion was destroyed by the criticism of other scientists. The
>>>idea was not strong enough, and didn't have the observational support to
>>>withstand the criticism. On the other hand, the concept of high
>>>temperature superconductivity did survive criticism and is a flourishing
>>>area of research. This is how science works.

>SJ>It might be OK in "science" to destructively criticise other scientist's
>>ideas, but even that is doubtful. One would normally expect scientists
>>to engage in friendly debate, with the aim of mutually helping each
>>other arrive at the truth.

GM>You obviously haven't been to very many scientific symposia on
>controversial topics. They can get rather raucous at times. I have seen
>leading geophysicists yelling at each other in the question and answer
>period. There is no 'friendly debate with the aim of helping each other'
>in some of those situations.

See below.

>SJ>But this is not just "science". This is also *Christian apologetics*.

GM>So are we to allow our children to be taught erroneous things because this
>is *Christian apologetics*?

Firstly, in the case of Hugh Ross and Phil Johnson, you have not shown that
they are teaching "erroneous things".

Secondly, even if they were teaching "erroneous things", they are so minor
in the scheme of things, that your destructive criticisms are out of all proportion,
and amount to scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Thirdly, Christian apologists may have taught "erroneous things" does not
warrant *destructive* criticism from one who himself claims to be a Christian.

Fourthly, you teach even more "erroneous things" than they do. You claim
that the Biblical Flood was 5.5 mya, and therefore Adam and Noah were
Australopithecines or Homo habilis/erectus, and that all their technology
was lost until recent times, is far more "erroneous" than anything Hugh
Ross or Phil Johnson teach.

>>GM>And when Christians deal in science they MUST play by the rules of
>>science. We can't allow weak hypotheses in our apologetics. If Christian apologists
>>>are unable or unwilling to present ideas that can't be falsified by the
>>>simplest observations, then their hypotheses need to be removed from the
>>>field of play so that we can finally get a solution for the
>>>Scripture/Science issues....

>SJ>I have no problem with you *constructively* criticising Christian apologists
>>scientific claims. My problem is the *way* you do it, by "destroying" rather
>>than building up.

GM>Wait a minute. I do offer an alternative when I criticize the competing
>views. That IS constructive.

Not the way you do it. In this same thread you "proudly plead[ed] guilty" to
destructively criticising the views of Christian apologists: