RE: Introduction

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 18:34:44 -0500

Just to clarify, I think what Glenn means by "destructive criticism" is
criticism that harms allegedly incorrect theories. I think what Stephen
means by "destructive criticism" is criticism that harms the cause of
Christianity by attacking the theories put forward by some leading Christian
apologists.

Given this radically different usage, there is no agreement (despite
occasional and very unfortunate shared use of "destructive criticism") on
whether or not Glenn is offering "destructive criticism". I believe there
is agreement that Glenn is offering destructive criticism in the first
sense. The question is whether his doing so in his characteristically blunt
and taking-no-epistemic-prisoners way implies that it is also destructive
criticism in the second sense.

My opinion: I hope we don't make whole a thread out of this discussion!!
It doesn't warrant it, in my view. Could Glenn be more sensitive to the
feelings of others? Sure -- as could many of us. But I hope not at all at
the expense of his (or our) intellectual forthrightness. In my view, Glenn
has done far more than most on this list to ground the discussion in
relevant data, rather than just speculation. For that, I at least am
grateful. I also note that Glenn has been more than willing to admit error
on a number of occasions, and tends to be thick-skinned regarding brutal but
meritorious attacks on his own theories (remember when the faux-Trivers was
on the list? the most obnoxious poster in living memory? Glenn was, as I
recall, fairly polite to him because some of what the person was saying
against Glenn's theories was possibly worth taking seriously, even though
the guy was a -total- jerk).

--John