Re: Glenn wrote:

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 30 May 1998 15:19:57 -0500

At 06:18 AM 5/30/98 -0500, Ron Chitwood wrote:
>Bible?<<<<
>
>Non sequitur again. The Bible doesn't say it, you said it.

Actually you were the one who raised efficiency as an argument against
evolution. On Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 02:12:43 -0500

you wrote:

>>It would be more 'efficient', by the way, for God to create immediately to
>>begin with rather than ooze through the slow, inefficient,
>>macroevolutionary, hit-or-miss process you apparently think HE did,
>>wouldn't it?

I was merely asking what is the theological basis for using efficiency as a
way to determine what God did. I don't find a requirement that God be
efficient as you seem to be arguing.

>Both of these people assume macroevolution to be true and base their
>descriptions of embyology on it.

Maybe they have looked at the evidence and CONCLUDED that evolution is
true. They didn't wake up one morning and decide 'I think I will assume
evolution for the rest of my life'.

It is precisely like what was written in
>medieval times assuming geocentrism to be true and basing their
>descriptions of the heavens on that. Now don't attempt to deflect that by
>saying 'Christianity taught that'. That is irrelevant. The point being
>that the assumption is wrong in the 1st place.

Actually I agree here. It is PRECISELY like what the medieval's did. But
they didn't assume geocentrism either. The ancient peoples looked at the
evidence before their eyes and saw the sun moving. They didn't feel their
own motion so they believed that they were stationary. When they moved in
a cart, they felt motion, jerks and stops etc. Since there was none of
that when planted on the ground, they used this observational data to draw
the conclusion they did. it was quite reasonable.

Only when subsequent observational data contradicted the common sense view
were they forced into heliocentrism. The only thing Christians did wrong
was to resist observational evidence. Prior to the astronomical data, it
was quite reasonable to believe in geocentrism, just like prior to the
latter half of last century when the data became available, it was
reasonable to believe that animals didn't evolve. It is no longer so
reasonable to fight against evolution any more than it is reasonable to
fight against heliocentrism.

>Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
> and do not rely on your own insight.. Pr. 3:5
>Ron Chitwood
>chitw@flash.net

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology