Re: Glenn wrote:

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 27 May 1998 19:41:25 -0500

At 08:30 AM 5/27/98 -0500, Ron Chitwood wrote:
>NOT
>on the whole planet but only on some region of the earth. whole land does
>not mean planet earth. Otherwise, tell me what planet God showed Abraham
>to go to<<<
>
>Whoa, erets can mean either. Depends on the context. 'earth' as used in
>Genesis 1:2 is also translated from 'erets .

How do you determine the context of a word the very first time it is used?

If I say "I created a uytrynhm" tell me what 'uytrynhm' means?

Consider the following sentences.
The uytrynhm is pretty.

The uytrynhm takes time to dry.
If the uytrynhm lasts for a 100 years it will need restoration by an expert
because the colors will have dimmed.

The Kimbel art gallery is going to display many of my uytrnhms next week.

You can only tell what it is by looking at the context. The first case
doesn't tell you much. The others tell you a bit more. the last gives it
away.

EVERY example of 'eretz between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 12:1 are either
demonstrably LOCAL regions such as land or country or they are
indeterminant. the indeterminant useages are in Genesis 1 and Genesis 6-9
which can be translated either way. But the majority of uses refer to
local regions and so if you suddenly want to make eretz mean the entire
planet, find a similar usage somewhere else where it is UNQUESTIONAbLY
PLANET EARTH.

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood