Re: Attacks

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Wed, 27 May 1998 06:01:36 +0800

Ed

On Tue, 19 May 1998 14:00:54 -0400, Ed Brayton wrote:

[...]

>>SJ>"So your attacks on Christian apologists like Morris & Parker and Davis
>>>& Kenyon, regarding..."

>>>the reasoning and lack of data integrity of certain
>>>self-styled apologists.

>SJ>I am primarily defending *Hugh Ross* and *Phil Johnson* from Glenn's
>>attacks. Are you claiming they are "self-styled apologists"?
>>
>>But I would dispute your claim that even "Morris & Parker and Davis
>>& Kenyon" are "self-styled apologists".

EB>Wow, talk about missing the point. Burgy's point was that Glenn attacks
>the REASONING AND LACK OF DATA INTEGRITY, not the person. You have
>accused him of ad hominem attacks. An ad hominem attack IS an attack on
>the person, not the argument.

You are still conflating two issues. I do not claim that Glenn is making
ad hominem attacks on Christian apologists. I claim he *destructively
criticises* Christian apologists.

My ad homimen claim is that Glenn makes ad hominem attacks on
myself and other creationist Reflectorites.

>>JWB>I have not seen him attack the person. There is a difference,
>>>of course.
>>
>>I never said Glenn attacks "the person" of Christian apologists. You
>>are being over-literal.
>>
>>My point is that Glenn's attacks on the position of Christian apologists
>>is 100% negative. I have never heard him say anything positive about
>>the position of *any* Christian apologist.

EB>If that is your point, why did you accuse him of ad hominem? Did you
>just not know what the phrase means, but thought it sounded good to
>accuse someone of it?

See above. You are conflating two entirely different claims. There are no
ad hominems against Christian apologists in the Glenn's ad hominem FAQ.

Steve

"Evolution is the greatest engine of atheism ever invented."
--- Dr. William Provine, Professor of History and Biology, Cornell University.
http://fp.bio.utk.edu/darwin/1998/slides_view/Slide_7.html

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Steve.Jones@health.wa.gov.au
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)