science and miracles

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 27 May 1998 06:16:30 -0500

At 09:45 PM 5/26/98 -0600, John W. Burgeson wrote:
>Glenn you had a post using those words which I saw in the
>EVOLUTION-DIGEST but you apparently did not copy me. It got me thinking...

I was trying to cut down on traffic.

>Your story was how a person should react to a "miracle recovery."
>
>Pretend that you & I are scientist-physicians; otherwise we are the same
>guys.
>
>The recovery happens to one we both love & cherish.
>
>We are both delighted & praise God.
>
>We both attribute the recovery to a miracle by our common Lord.
>
>Now we are back at the office/lab. Let's think about it.
>
>What I would do, as a scientist assuming MN, is begin to look for a
>natural cause.
>If I find one, I may save many lives!
>
>If I find one, or if I do not, I see God in the events.
>
>What I would NOT support is a "God diddit" mentality which
>assumes a miracle took place and that's the end of it -- no investigation
>need take place.
>
>Does this make sense, or am I rambling (it IS late at night!)

You missed my point. Go read the note again. I said that all we could do
as scientists was look at a set of facts and say that they are or are not
consistent with a miracle having occurred. Investigating to try to find a
natural cause is just such an attempt. If I can find a natural cause, then
it is not consistent with an instantaneous miracle, maybe a miracle of
timing but not a snap your fingers and the genie appears kind of miracle.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood