Re: Glenn's ad hominems FAQ (was half-evolved feather pt 2)

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 18 May 1998 21:11:51 -0500

At 05:41 AM 5/19/98 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:
>Glenn
>
>On Wed, 13 May 1998 17:51:50 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>GM>There are lots of skeletal differences. Some dinosaurs may have had
>
>>SJ>Then why would they not be called birds?
>
>GM>Sigh. This is why I am giving up on you Stephen.
>
>I regard this as an ad hominem. When you get stuck for an answer you
>often assume a lofty tone prefaced by "Sigh", and blame the questioner.

Steve, This is not even close to the definition of an ad hominem. An ad
hominem is like saying, 'Evolutionists can't be true because everyone knows
that evolutionists are liars.' It is a sense of frustration, sincere
frustration that you apparently have not studied the nature of biological
classification at all. A dinosaur is a dinosaur because of certain skeletal
traits, which do not involve feathers. These traits are different from
those defining birds. Dinosaurs are defined partly by having certain
traits in their pelvi. (see Carroll, Vertebrate Paleontology, 1988, p. 289
figure 14:3). There are other skeletal traits which define the two
different orders of dinosaurs.

>so from now on I will add them to a new thread called "Glenn's ad hominems
>FAQ", classified in alphabetical order. Here is the first:

>LOFTY TONE
>
>Usually prefaced by "Sigh" as of great man tired of answering silly
questions
>from inferior beings.
>
>Translation: Glenn can't answer the question, so he pretends it is the
>questioner's fault for asking it.

Stephen, there are times when a person tires of trying to answer 18 kb
misrepresented your position or are ignoring what you say. Don't you
occasionally long to discuss the scientific issues rather than way people
fail your expectations? I would prefer to have a rousing debate about the
actual issues rather than too often engaging with you about my and your
behavior.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood