Re: Glenn's ad hominems FAQ (was half-evolved feather pt 2)

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Tue, 19 May 1998 05:41:24 +0800

Glenn

On Wed, 13 May 1998 17:51:50 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:

[...]

>GM>There are lots of skeletal differences. Some dinosaurs may have had
>>>feathers.

>SJ>Then why would they not be called birds?

GM>Sigh. This is why I am giving up on you Stephen.

I regard this as an ad hominem. When you get stuck for an answer you
often assume a lofty tone prefaced by "Sigh", and blame the questioner.

Ed has challenged me to give examples of your ad hominems:

On Sun, 10 May 1998 23:00:59 -0400, Ed Brayton wrote:

EB>Very well said, Glenn. If I were you, I would also demand that Stephen
>post examples of the "constant stream of ad hominem attacks" that he
>accused you of on Saturday. I have never seen such an example, and I
>doubt that Stephen can find any in your e-mail messages.

so from now on I will add them to a new thread called "Glenn's ad hominems
FAQ", classified in alphabetical order. Here is the first:

LOFTY TONE

Usually prefaced by "Sigh" as of great man tired of answering silly questions
from inferior beings.

Translation: Glenn can't answer the question, so he pretends it is the
questioner's fault for asking it.

Examples are:

>GM>There are lots of skeletal differences. Some dinosaurs may have had
>>feathers.

SJ>Then why would they not be called birds?

GM>Sigh. This is why I am giving up on you Stephen.

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Steve.Jones@health.wa.gov.au
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)