Re: Problems for evolution in latest SCIENCE issue?

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Fri, 15 May 1998 16:35:20 -0400

At 05:26 AM 5/11/98 +0800, Steve wrote:
>Brian
>
>On Thu, 07 May 1998 14:23:34 -0400, Brian D Harper wrote:
>
>>SJ>Here are some summaries from the most recent SCIENCE Online (I don't
>>>have access to the main articles), which suggest big problems may
>>>loooming for evolution:
>
>BH>What are the big problems?
>
>SJ>If you can't see any potential "big problems" for evolution in
>the items I posted then probably for you there cannot be any
>"big problems" for evolution, Brian!

I did not say that there were no potential big problems I merely
asked you what they were since you provided no supporting
arguments as to why the items you posted presented a problem
for evolution.

I happen to think that problems are what make science both
interesting and challenging.

>SJ>After all, a theory that can accommodate anything and its opposite
>(eg. Eukaryotes descending from Prokaryotes as well as Prokaryotes
>descending from Eukaryotes), probably *can't* be troubled by anything!
>But then neither is Astrology!

It's hard to see how this has anything to do with the studies that
you mentioned. For example, I did not see anyone suggeting that
Prokaryotes descended from Eukaryotes. What I did see was some
arguing about what happened during evolution. This type of arguing
seems to me to be common place in science.

>SJ>If you think this is a bit unfair, maybe you could let us know what
>*would* be a "big problem" for evolution?

Hmm..., well if Steve Jones were to become an evolutionist, now
THAT would be a big problem for evolution. :-)

Just kidding. I'm pretty sure I could do this for any theory of
evolution you name. But let's not change the subject.

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics
The Ohio State University

"It is not certain that all is uncertain,
to the glory of skepticism." -- Pascal