Re: evolution-digest V1 #930

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 14 May 1998 21:17:04 -0500

At 12:54 PM 5/14/98 -0600, John W. Burgeson wrote:
>The two questions you and Glenn have thrown to one another are, of
>course, of high interest. Do either of you have answers? I think I do.
>
>1. As a scientist, the PC explanation is, at best, of only passing
>interest. If SETI is successful, and if other evidences of intelligences
>equal to (or more likely greater than) humanity ever show up, then the PC
>explanation MIGHT (again, as a scientist) become more interesting.
>
>2. As a scientist, I continue to adhere to the MN foundational
>assumption; I do so on pragmatic grounds; nothing more.
>
>3. The PC explanation is more satisfying (appears more likely to me) on
>philosophical grounds, and is a philosophical explanation, not a
>scientific one.

I want to make one comment. I am a theistic evolutionist(TE) for one
reason only, it fits the facts better. I do not see why, if God
progressively created the animals and then mankind, why should He have done
it and arranged it so that the nested hierarchies in biological
similarities were maintained. God is God and could conceivably have made
mankind as the only photosynthetic animals (us with green hair) if He had
wanted to. But He didn't. God followed a rather predictable pattern for PC
once the main groups were formed. To me, this is the big weakness in the PC
position. Could God have progressively created the animals. Sure. Did
He? The nested hierarchies of similarities argues against His action in
that regard.

>4. What scientific differences would I expect to see between the two? I
>really don't know of any.

Philosophically, I would not necessarily expect the nested hierarchies of
similarities under PC. With evolution, they are a requirement. Without
them, evolution is false. But note that the nested hierarchies of
biological, biochemical etc similarities are observed.

And I do respect those who hold such a position; I just don't think it is
the best one given the evidence.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood