Re: half-evolved feather

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 09 May 1998 20:46:38 -0500

At 01:57 PM 5/9/98 -0700, Cliff Lundberg wrote:
>> >structure which appears to be a half-evolved feather.
>
>I just wonder how one can know a structure is transitional
>rather than being merely intermediate in form for other
>reasons. And if a structure is transitional, how do we know
>the direction of the transition? Certainly there's plenty of
>evolution through loss or degeneration of a sort, so why
>assume a structure is on the path of progress?

I think there is a big misconception about 'progress'. It would be fairer
to say that it is on the path of change. When you get right down to it, a
fish is not very much less complex than is a human being.

Now, as to your question about transition, special creation does not
predict change of any form. Most Christians no longer hold this view and
allow for a tremendous amount of evolution. In fact, I would guess many of
the Christians of the last century would turn over in their graves if they
could see how much evolution even the YECs accept.

The existence of structurally intermediate features, occuring at temporally
intermediate strata, is only predicted by evolution. Even today's
anti-evolutionists who accept micro-evolution do not have a reason to
expect such stratigraphically intermediate forms.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood