Re: Yet more denigrating of Apologists (was Why?)

Ed Brayton (cynic@net-link.net)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:42:16 -0400

Glenn Morton wrote:

> At 02:53 PM 4/21/98 -0400, cynic@net-link.net wrote:
> >I can tell you from my own experience that
> >he is right about this. As a Christian teenager, I swallowed the YEC
> >line completely. Then I began asking questions and not getting good
> >answers. A youth pastor encouraged me to research the answers for
> >myself. I was shocked to find out that most of what was written in all
> >of those ICR pamphlets I had been reading was nonsense. My faith never
> >recovered. Unlike Glenn, I could not reconcile the clear meaning of the
> >biblical text with what I knew of science.
>
> Ed,
>
> Let me ask something about your story. Why couldn't you accept the
> generally accepted liberal Christian view that early Genesis is 'true' but
> non-historical?

I can't accept that simply because I don't know what "true" could
possibly mean other than "historically true", and because, once divorced
from its historical validity, the story has no more claim to being
"true" than the Dogon creation myth or the Hindu creation myth or any
other. I don't want anyone to think that I went from being a Christian
to being a deist only because I rejected the historical validity of
Genesis in regards to creation and the flood. This was only one small
part of my intellectual "evolution". I should also say that I think that
there is a reasonable and rational case to be made for Christianity,
though I do not find it compelling. I am not one of those who thinks
that all Christians are stupid, ignorant or dishonest; in fact, I
frequently find myself doing battle with those who hold such an opinion.
Like most young people leaving Christianity, I went through a phase
where I was rather rabidly anti-Christian and considered myself an
atheist, but I grew out of it after a while.

Ed