Re: the atheist question

Dario Giraldo (giraldo@wln.com)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:54:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Glenn Morton wrote:

> Have you ever used a scientific argument to support the Bible? If so, then
> you have treated it like it relates historical information.
Not really. The Biblical message is a Spiritual one, no amount of science
can prove or not this. It is a endless circle with no end in sight.

The spiritual dimension is beyond any observation. That is why Christians
are called to live by faith and not sight. When Jesus walked on water,
Peter did too until he began to observe the situation and sank. When the
prophets' helper taught that they were alone, the prophet prayed and the
helpers eyes were open to the spiritual realm and saw multitude of angelic
beings. This was for a moment and then it was gone. He couldn't observe
anymore.

> If no one knows exactly, then why doesn't this apply to the resurrection?
Because He has sent The Holy Spirit to witness to this effect. And the
same power that raised Jesus from the death is available to believers now.
Jesus promised his disciples that the same power available to Him was
theirs now. This is what separates Christianity from other religions.
The power that comes from being a follower of Him, not some church or
denomination. These are man made and lack any power.

> mean if we can't even determine if God created the world, if we can't
> determine if there was a flood (global or otherwise), if we can't determine
> the age of the earth or if there is or is not a geologic column, how can we
> claim to "truly..know exacatly" that the resurrection occurred.
Because I'm a witness of His power in the works of man. And because I
have seen many miracles in people very close to me, I have experience them
personally and know of amazing things happening in other parts of the
world, I have no doubt that if God wanted to raise a man from a stone in a
second, He'll do it.

I don't waste other peoples and my own time trying to convince them of the
existence of God. I'm a witness that talks about the gospel. I'm do
enjoy science up to the point where they begin to despict man as some
glorified beast.

But I marvel at the advance in medicine for example, the things they can
do now. The whole robotics discipline fascinates me. The genetic
studies.

> What you
> miss is that your treatment of observational data and claim not to be able
> to know anything, destroys your entire basis for beleiving the resurrection.
Nobody knows the exact moment in space and time when all of the universe
around us was created, nor how it all came into being.

The old question of the fish and the egg or the seed and the apple applies
here.

> Getting our facts straight is an act of worship!
That is right. That word 'worship' to what you give worth. I don't give
much worth to areas where there is much disagreement. It isn't important
for me. I don't worship facts.

Best Regards,

Dario Giraldo