Info on 'Egypt' book: A Test of Time

Gary Collins (etlgycs@etl.ericsson.se)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:30:53 GMT

Karen G. Jensen wrote:

> Dear Gary,
>
> Do you have the full reference (publisher, year, etc.) for this book, and
> how to get it? I'd appreciate your sending that to me. Thank you. K

Dear Karen (and anyone else who may be interested),

A Test of Time
The Bible - From Myth to History

David Rohl

Arrow Books Limited 1996

ISBN: 0-09-936561-8

(From the back cover):
'A Test of Time' presents the most remarkable understanding of the Bible
since archaeology first began to recover the wonders of ancient time.
Egyptologist and ancient historian David Rohl has made a discovery which
challenges the modern view of Old Testament history. 'A Test of Time' reveals
the true historical setting of the biblical epics, providing astonishing
archaeological evidence for the existence of the Old Testament's most
charismatic personalities. For the first time the lives of Joseph, Moses,
Joshua, Saul, David and Solomon are examined from an historical perspective,
as David Rohl explores their cities, palaces and tombs. 'A Test of Time'
unveils such archaeological wonders as the desecrated cult-statue of Joseph in
his 'coat of many colours', the Israelite city of the Bondage (including
graphic evidence of the plagues) and letters from King Saul.

"The New Bok of Revelations ... A Scholarly theory that has set the academic
world on its ear" -- Sunday Times

What impressed me the most about this book is that the author has, in his
own words, "no religious axe to grind." He did not set out with the intention
of proving or disproving the Bible; he was merely investigating what seemed
to him to be an anomaly in chronology, and found that when he straightened
it out, all these things fell into place. Although he admits that it is only
a theory, and some parts are much more tentative than others, he provides an
impressive array of evidence for his chronology, including best fits of
ancient astronomical records with modern astronomical retrocalculations.
An exciting and enlightening book, well worth the time spent in reading it.

/Gary