Re: Debate

Derek McLarnen (dmclarne@pcug.org.au)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 21:06:19 +1000

--------------16216E7F246BD299AB82FE9D

Ron Chitwood wrote:

> actually *being* an historical event, since there are just
> as many (or more) people who deny the historicity of the
> resurrection.<<<
>
RC> Actually, how can we verify that any event is historical. How do
we
> know, except by the account of fallible men, that Julius Caesar ever lived,
> that Napoleon conquered.

By lots of consistent accounts of lots of fallible people, and also by
what they wrote themselves.

EGM> In fact, there are movements now that deny the
> historicity of the holocaust.

Less than 50 years on, and we have film, many eyewitness accounts and
court transcripts. IT's not difficult to get a false myth started even
in the face of 20th century technology and a 20th century system of
international law. How much easier in 1st century Palestine?

EGM> One must depend on others that were
> there for information. That is the reason the resurrection is probably the
> most verifiable event, because its based on eyewitness accounts and avowed
> opponents of the time (Pharisees, Jews, etc.) never claimed it did
> not happen. They tried to cover it up, yes, but could not produce a body
> which would have nipped Christianity in the bud.

If Jesus was not dead but only seriously injured and near-dead when he
was removed from the cross, there would also have been no body to
produce.

Regards,

Derek
--------------16216E7F246BD299AB82FE9D