Re: Provine Ridicules TE's

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 19:33:56 -0600

Greg,

Since I am about to take off for a while, I would like to respond to this:

At 09:20 AM 3/5/98, Greg Billock wrote:

>Yes, but any discovery of evidence for a flood is bound to match other
>flood accounts just as well as it does the Bible. If the Bible is then
>taken to rest completely on its value as a source for such a theory, there
>is nothing to discriminate between it and other similar books. That's why
>I'm suggesting that these issues are of secondary importance.

Actually, the details given in the Scripture as opposed to different details
given in other flood accounts does give some basis upon which one can
differentiate. And I would agree with what you seem to be saying that
finding evidence for the flood may not be proof that it was the Biblical
account which was true rather than some other account. But conversely if the
Bible is true, then I still maintain that the account must be true also.

>> But I don't see an aswer for the Mormon question here. Is their myth of a
>> Semitic people with big walled cities and chariots in the New World as good
>> as our myth that the Hebrews escaped from Pharoah? Are all myths equivalent?
>
>Of course not. But judging the quality of myths or stories is carried out
>on a different plan than judging the quality of scientific theories. The
>one may have nothing to do with the other (although as I keep saying, and I
>think we agree, this isn't the case in real life).

My worry with the above is it subjectivity. Subjectively, I can claim that
I have talked with Ramapamabama, a spirit who lived a million years ago as
an Australopithecus. I don't think that you could really rule this out on
the above basis. I would claim that Ramapamabama is on a different plane
and can't be judged by scientific theories.

>> >Sorry for such a long message--I hope I have clarified what I am thinking.
>> >Since you have had this discussion before, though, I may be boring you
>> >to tears. :-)
>>
>> Oh no, I am not bored. This issue is one of the most crucial in modern
>> Christianity today. It is what divides the conservatives from the liberals.
>> It involves Pilate's question: What is Truth?
>
>I'm enjoying it as well. Thanks for the discussion.

Maybe we can continue it after I take a few weeks off. You have the last word.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood