Re: Evolution debate

Karen L Johnson (botanist1@juno.com)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 11:08:41 -0600

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:41:41 -0600 "Dr. K. Lee Lerner"
<lerndesk@sprynet.com> writes:
>Dear List Participants,
>
>Within the past week I have observed two separate instances wherein a
>list participant has been criticized for posting errant citations.

>Please allow me to respectfully state that it is improper and grossly
>unfair to criticize a fellow scientist ( regardless that they be lay,
>undergraduate, graduate or professional) for an incorrect citation or
>reference without offering the correction to same. This standard is
>followed in peer reviewed journals. It is a well-founded policy.
>
>Rebuttals attacking data, citations or references should be supported
>and the grounds or materiality of the rebuttal clearly drawn. Any
>rebuttal failing these standards should be withdrawn or ignored.
>
>Best Regards,
>K. Lee Lerner
>Science Policy Institute
>
>P.S. Without offering comment on the gist of the scientific issues,
>further state that I have had a graduate student check the citations
>in question. I have been informed that Mr. Morton's citations are are
>without error.

You are correct.

I do not have the original letters and I deleted the notes I used to make
cursory checks on Glenn Morton's citations.

Although I stand by my comments with regard to the fallacy of the Eve
Hypothesis, I retract my assertion that Mr. Morton's citations were in
error.

I offer my apology to Mr. Morton and the members of this list.

Back to lurking...
Karen

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]