RE: New Carbon-Dating fine-tuning

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 15:08:19 -0600

I got this from an AltaVista hit on talk.origins. One needs a subscription
(which I lack) to get at the original Science article electronically.

--John

Re: Pagano, Humphreys, Radiocarbon, & Ordovician

check out the data from the Feb. 20, 1998
issue of Science (Vol. 279, pp. 1187-1189) available at
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/279/5354/1187
Here's just a snippet to whet your appetite:

Here we present a high-resolution atmospheric radiocarbon calibration from
annually laminated sediments for the total range of the radiocarbon dating
method [<45,000 cal yr B.P. (10)]. The sediments were taken from Lake
Suigetsu (35”35N, 135”53E) near the coast of the Sea of Japan (11). ...The
seasonal changes in the depositions are preserved in the clay as thin
laminations or varves. The sedimentation or annual varve thickness is
relatively uniform, typically 1.2 mm/year during the Holocene and 0.61
mm/year during the Glacial. The bottom age of the SG core is estimated to be
older than 100,000 years, close to the beginning of the last interglacial
period.

To reconstruct the calendar time scale, we counted varves, based on
gray-scale image analyses of digital pictures, in a 10.43- to 30.45-m-deep
section, producing a 29,100-year-long floating chronology. Because we
estimated the varve chronology of older than ~20,000 yr B.P. (19-m depth of
SG core) by counting in a single core section, the error of the varve
counting increases with depth, and the accumulated error at 40,000 cal yr
B.P. would be less than ~2000 years, assuming no break in the sediment (12).