R.L.Trivers: Re: RLT wrote (grounds)

Robert L Trivers (r.l.trivers@juno.com)
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:35:25 -0600

From: R.L.Trivers
To: johnburgeson@juno.com
Subject: Re: RLT wrote (grounds)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:36:19 -0600

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:32:26 -0700 johnburgeson@juno.com (John W.
Burgeson) writes:

>Just looking at ICR -- Morris and Gish don't fit that claim; I don't
>know about others on their faculty.

Morris and Gish are jokes.

> Looking at the ICR Technical Advisory Board, I see:
>
>Edward Buck, Prof of Petroleum Engineering, U of Oklahoma
>David Boylan, Prof of Chenmical Engineering, Iowa State U
>Malcolm Cutchins, Prof of Aeorspace Eng, Auburn
>Robert Eckel, Prof of Medicine, U of Colorado
>Carl Fliermans, Microbiologist, Du Pont
>Donald Hamann, Prof of Food Technology, NC State U
>Ker Thompson, Prof of Geophysiscs, Baylor
>John Oller, Prof of Linguistics, U of New Mexico
>David Menton, Prof of Anatomy, Washington U
>Gailen Marshall, Dir of Clinnical Immunology, U of Texas (Houston)
>
>Are these persons "dangerous?" Are the institutions in which they
>teach "degree mills?" I think not.

No, however none, excepting Menton and Marshall, have the
credentials to evaluate high level evolutionary arguments and neither
Menton or Marshall have offered serious arguments for peer review.
Thompson would find difficulty finding similar employment at any other
institution but Baylor.

I'm not surprised that the ICR has gone out of its way to
associate itself with some misguided "scientists" who have left the
mainstream. For a balanced picture check out:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/credentials.html

It is possible to lose one's rationality after finishing a degree
and gaining tenure.

>When you write "Religious fundamentalist literalists (of all
>religions) are dangerous and have no place in science , the public
>school classroom or civilized society," who are you targetting? There
>are some who regard the ASA as a grouping of such people (see
>Pugliucci's web site). If it is, then I must identify myself with them
>as a "fundementalist." Am I, also, dangerous to society?

Yes, all fundamentalists are dangerous unless they lock
themselves away in monkish servitude.

However, the truth is, it's not the "Fundies" who are to be
feared. It is the half literate, semi-knowledgable, partly professional
pseudo scholars (especially those out of their field or depth ) such as
those affiliated witht he ICR who cause the most damage to honest
studies. The problem is that such half-wits present fiction as fact, and
as the media is always looking for a new angle theirs is the one that is
usually given press. Its not excellent scholars who have reporters
asking them questions, its the wierdos that have the media chasing is
that half truths the "common folk" take as gospel.

No more on this... let's talk evolution!

Cheers,
RLT

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]