Dead Bisons and fossilization

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:12:35 -0600

At 06:13 PM 1/27/98 -0600, Ron Chitwood wrote:

>So, what you are saying is, given certain conditions, fossils happen today.
> By far the majority of animals that die succumb to normal scavenger
>principles. Example: there are no fossilized passenger pigeons of Bison
>although they flourished in the 19th century.

Well this is not true. There are fossils of Bison bison. I would refer you
to Donald E. Savage and Donald E. Russell, Mammalian Paleofaunas of the
World, p. 394. There are plenty of bison fossils from the Pleistocene. This,
in spite of what Henry Morris implies in his note on page 83 of The Genesis
Flood.

And this raises a major frustration I have about the issue of
creation/evolution. Well meaning honest people like you, wanting to deal
with the problem of evolution, read books written by people who never did
sufficient research to ensure that their facts were correct. Then you trust
them, because you think they have done the work they should have done. And
they haven't. Over the past few days these books have been shown to be
factually erroneous in their assertion that there is no modern animal
fossilization, no modern analogues for leaf preservation, no modern
analogue for the formation of fish fossils, and now the erroneous contention
that fossils of bison do not exist. All of these assertions are wrong. And
it frustrates me that I have to work so hard to document what almost every
working geologist knows but is withheld from the rank and file Christian by
their apologists. I wish that our apologists, those we trust to tell us the
facts of science in relation to scripture would do a better job at getting
the facts correct. You need to check out their facts by looking up the
original sources. You need to check out my facts by looking up the original
sources. What you will find will appall you. It did me when I started
doing that years ago.

>Certain conditions, such as
>a flood, do produce fossils and those less ambulatory would fall first,
>then the more ambulatory on higher grounds much like the 'evolutionary'
>evidence for 'columns' that current textbooks picture.

If you are trying to use this as an explanation within a global flood model,
then this won't work. Dinosaurs are more "ambulatory" than we are. They
could run faster and since they were taller could stick their heads out of
the water long after we would be swimming. Yet they occur in the fossil
record lower than any man.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood