Re: fossil fish with fingers

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:47:18 -0800

At 10:37 PM 1/20/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:

>Well, in this case, I will carefully watch to see if you make statements
>about things you have not personally looked at. :-) Let's see. You always
>cite Buchheim about the Green River varves not being varves because there is
>a variable number of layers between two tuffs in Fossil Lake. Have you
>counted the layers between those two tuffs? If not, you are trusting the
>expert to inform you of what he has seen. And if you can trust Buchheim,
>why can't I others to tell me the truth? ;-)

I have counted varves in the Green River Shale and I do know that the
procedure is extremely tentative and unreliable in these sediments. This
does give me some first hand knowledge of the problem and the processes.
However, I am not taking Buchheim's interpretation, just his data. I am
applying my own interpretation, which may or may not be the same as his,
and is bsed at least in part on my own wxperience with these sediments.
The same goes for the Coconino.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu