Re: fossil fish with fingers

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:00:35 -0800

At 06:30 PM 1/20/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:

>A geologist can tell the difference between a river deposit and a deepwater
>lake deposit and a deepwater marine environment. As you know rivers have
>point bar deposits, channel levee facies etc.

Yes, yes, Glenn. But I don't buy geologic evidences of shallow water or
fresh or salt water any more than I buy that the Coconino was a desert with
amphibians running around jumping sideways on dry sand, disappearing ad
reappearing mid stride, leaving tracks identical to those made by modern
amphibia walking on the bottom today, but completely unlike anything made
in dry sand. Not any more than I believe the classic transgressive sequence
of McKee in the Cambrian of the Grand Canyon was a shallow marine setting,
when the entire thickness of the Tapeats is stacked up against a vertical
cliff face with no evidence of erosion, or when the cliff face is
blanketed with a veneer of breccia that is undisturbed by 30 million years
of beach erosion in a shallow sea.

>Once again, I cite the guys who have looked at this. I will admit that I
>haven't examined the strata myself, but I doubt that you would require
>personal examination of every piece of evidence.

Yes, I do. This is the essence of what I have spent my life doing, and so
far in every case (after years of investigation), we have found
conventional theory to be either wrong, or at least vulnerable to
reinterpretation. It is too easy just to throw out soemone else's ideas
about what they think happened, as if it were somehow magically true.
Unless we challenge some of the vapid assertions in the literature, we will
never get closer to a true understanding of earth history.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu