Re: fossil fish with fingers

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 05:57:10 -0600

At 12:54 AM 1/20/98 -0800, cliff@noevalley.com wrote:

>It's rather annoying that there's no picture with the article!
>It would be interesting to see whether the fish had the long
>humerus-sort-of bone of the coelacanths.
>
>BTW, isn't the coelacanth an unlikely candidate for a tetrapod
>progenitor? It's a heavy, deepwater fish, and its long fins seem
>built for a sculling type of action; they lack the sturdiness
>necessary to even begin to crawl on land.

First, you are correct that coelacanths are not considered as likely a
candidate for the ancestor of tetrapods as are the panderichthyids.
Panderichthyids had humerus and a skull that lacked the internal joint which
tetrapods have and lack respecitively. I am not sure from the AP report
whether the fish is a coelacanth or a pandericthyid. I hope to have the
article today.

But there is one correct of the above. Ancient coelecanths were not
deepwater creatures. Most lived in freshwater.

>--
>Cliff Lundberg ~ San Francisco ~ cliff@noevalley.com

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood