Re: Contempt and Dismissal

Walter J Hicks (whicks@ma.ultranet.com)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:52:46 -0500 (EST)

In the following message it is very difficult to sort who is talking to whom.

Did Lloyd write all of the text as it is implied?

I suspected that he might be a Skitzo ;-) -- but not *that* much.

Walt

At 11:14 AM 12/15/97 -0500, mullerd@chplink.CHP.EDU wrote:

> Lloyd Elby wrote:
>
> Here I don't understand your objection. It seems to me that
> all of my statements 1 through 5 are true. I know that some
> Christians deny the truth of one or more of them. But so
> what? They are wrong to do so. No useful discussion can
> occur between groups if one group denies obvious facts. In
> that sense, some Christians cannot participate in a useful
> discussion of this issue, and they fully deserve the
> contempt and dismissal of proponents of evolution.
>
> Contempt and dismissal from opposing views, eh? Sounds to
> me like someone being passionate about defending their
> "faith". Maybe Lloyd has created a new political label -
> Left Wing Religious Fundamentalist.
>
> There has been a sincere and informative discussion for the
> last several months. I, a YEC, have appreciated those who
> have answered my posted questions with respect, research,
> and humor. It has been most enjoyable and has kept my mind
> open to others who have obviously spent much more time than
> myself into researching this subject. There is no need for
> the bigotry displayed above. There is no room here for the
> "I'm right - you're wrong because I say it is so" attitude.
> Not only does it detract from the discussion it displays a
> childishness in the individual.
>
> Wasn't it the ACLU lawyer Clarence Darrow who stated, "It is
> the height of bigotry to teach only one theory of origins" ?
>

> Dan Muller

Walt Hicks <whicks@ma.ultranet.com>

"The insights of philosophers have occasionally
benefited physicists, but generally in a negative
fashion -- by protecting them from the
preconceptions of other philosophers".

Steven Weinberg -- "Dreams of a Final Theory"