RE: Evolution: Facts, Fallacies, Crisis

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 15:32:40 -0600

Glenn,

(1) "Solipsism" = Only I exist; "Skepticism" = I suspend judgement in general,
or wrt X (or, more crudely but often popularly, "I think X is false", and most
crudely, "I think X is false, and anyone who believes X is a fool!" :^> ). I
think you meant to use "skepticism" (in its proper sense) rather than
"solipsism".

(2) I think a big part of the disagreement between you and Lloyd comes down to
this: You see the job of science as coming up with physical theories that work
(pragmatic), he sees it as coming up with physical theories that are true
(alethic [from the Greek word for "truth"], realistic). Hence, if, for
argument's sake, evolutionary theory has some serious holes, you'll see
objections as a bit pointless until they're complemented by superior working
theories, whereas Lloyd will argue that the theory is in those respects false
completely regardless of whether there's a better theory to replace it.

Wrt (2), it's important to realize you both can be right -- there is no
contradiction, so long as you make the pragmatic v. realistic/alethic
distinction, and hence realize that you're judging the theories and criticisms
thereof according to different standards.

A personally interesting example is reductionistic theories of mind. I find
them very implausible, even demonstrably false, but at the same time I'm
enthusiastic about them as engineering projects, since I don't know (a) which
alternative theory is true, and (b) how to make any competitor more
scientifically useful. So I support them as practical science, but reject them
as reliable philosophical guides to the deepest understanding of consciousness,
personhood, morality, etc. And I know there are plenty of working scientists
who do the same.

The key thing, in my experience anyway, is to make clear which goal(s) of
science you're focussing on, truth and/or utility. Otherwise the discussion
becomes subtly incoherent.

--John