Re: Evolution: Facts, Fallacies, Crisis

Walter J Hicks (whicks@ma.ultranet.com)
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:04:21 -0500 (EST)

At 02:04 PM 12/13/97 -0500, Lloyd Eby wrote:

>> In other words: Theories cannot be proven (as you seem to suggest) but
>> can only be disproved. (That's why theories can never become facts ---
>> unless, of course, you were Dawkins or Sagan and could declare evolution to
>> be a fact.)
>
>I'm sorry, but you lost me here. (Maybe I can't find my way through the
>multiple negatives.)
>
>I agree with you that scientific theories are never proved (at least in
>the strong sense of proof that exists in logic and in mathematical and
>geometrical systems -- what I sometimes call the Q.E.D. sense of proof).
>
>I do think, however, that statements that summarize or express a point of
>view or a set of beliefs can be proved in the sense that it can be shown
>that such a statement is an accurate representation of what it purports to
>represent.

O.K., but if you prove something to be true, then it is a fact not a
theory. Some evolution may be fact but Darwin's theory is just a theory.

I would have thought that you would be familiar with Popper's
"falsifiablity" notions. I'm not too great at explaining philosophy. A
"soundbite" of information may be seen at:

http://webug.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys150/fall97/slides/lect02/tsld010.htm

Walt
Walt Hicks <whicks@ma.ultranet.com>

In any consistent theory, there must