Re: Neanderthal spelunking

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Sun, 27 Jul 97 08:19:18 +0800

Glenn

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:56:05 -0500, Glenn Morton wrote:

SJ>The only people who claim that all hominids that are in the genus
>Homo are fully human are yourself and YECs:

GM>So is this supposed to make me blush???? Should I hang my
>head in shame that I and the YECs agree on something???? Such ad
>hominems are useless. I have no shame and when the YECs are
>correct, I will support them in their correctness. I care too much for
>truth to worry about what company that places me in.

What "ad hominems"? I simply pointed out the similarity of your
*position* with that of "YECs". If you "care too much for truth" you
would not claim that my criticism of your *position* is a criticism
of your *person*. Indeed, you evidently accept that what I said was
the "truth", so why all the bluster?

SJ>Thanks to Glenn for these quotes, which, as all his quotes on
>this topic do, document the emerging quality of full humanity!

GM>So you are a materialistic evolutionist who believes that the soul
>has evolved. I suspected as much.

Interesting. Apart from claiming that I said something that I never
said (ie. that "the soul has evolved"), you claim that I am guilty of
"ad hominems" when I compare your position with a group of fellow
Christians, ie. "YECs". You even accept that this is true. Then you
turn around and and make a *real* "ad hominem" by saying that I *am*
"a materialistic evolutionist"!

BTW, it is a respectable theological position, called Traducianism
(which I don't necessarily hold), to maintain that the soul is
transmitted by physical descent:

"According to Traducianism the souls of men are propagated along
with the bodies by generation, and are therefore transmitted to the
children by the parents. In the early Church Tertullian, Rufinus,
Apollinarus, and Gregory of Nyssa were Traducianists. From the days
of Luther Traducianism has been the prevailing view of the Lutheran
Church Among the Reformed it is favored by H. B. Smith and Shedd.
A. H. Strong also prefers it." (Berkhof L., "Systematic Theology",
1958, p197)

>SJ>Current thinking is that Homo sapiens was infiltrating into
>Western Europe at least 50,000 years ago:
>
>"...modern humans appeared in Western Europe 35,000 years ago and
>their modern behavior is immediately part of the archeological
>record. Or so it was assumed. Recently, this view has changed.
>western Europe is now recognized as something of a backwater, and we
>can discern a transformation sweeping across Europe, from east to
>west. Beginning about 50,000 years ago, in Eastern Europe, the
>existing Neanderthal populations disappeared and were replaced by
>modern humans...." (Leakey R., "The Origin of Humankind", 1994,
>p94)

GM>There is no demonstrable anatomically modern human on the
>continent of Europe prior to 33,850 years ago.

I don't know where you get "33,850" from. But Leakey above says
"Beginning about 50,000 years ago...". Besides, you yourself
believe that "the first appearance in the fossil record is not
the first appearance of that form on earth":