Re: logic makes a comeback

Russell Stewart (diamond@rt66.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:53:58 -0600

At 12:58 PM 6/10/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Russell writes:
>
><< But at least I am not claiming to be the holder of an objective, universal,
>eternal moral standard.>>
>
>STOP THE PRESSES! RE-DO PAGE ONE! HEADLINE: "RUSSELL STEWART ADMITS
>MATERIALIST MORALITY IS NOT OBJECTIVE, UNIVERSAL OR ETERNAL. CYBERSPACE
>STUNNED."

I think the only person "stunned" is you, considering that this is something
that I have never denied in the first place. You really don't have much of
an attention span, do you?

>INTERNET (AP)--Russell Stewart, self-described atheist, stunned the
>cyber-world today by admitting he does not hold "an objective, universal,
>eternal moral standard." Aghast reflectorites dropped their collective chins,
>as they had for weeks been explaining why a materialist cannot make claims of
>moral duty that apply to all people. Stewart had been fighting, many say
>illogically, to deny the consequences of his philosophy. With today's
>admission, that is no longer possible.

In a related story, Jim Bell continues to refuse to hold his own philosophy to
the impossible standard that he holds Russell Stewart's. Ignoring repeated
explanations by Stewart and others that Bell's philosophy is just as subjective
and just as able to support immorality, Jim continues to flail mercilessly
and fanatically against his beloved strawman, repeating his chant, "Your
morality is subjective -- therefore it doesn't work! Your morality is subjective
-- therefore it doesn't work!"

In a recent interview, Mr. Stewart expressed amused perplexion. "I really don't
understand what he thinks he's accomplishing," Stewart chuckled. "It's almost
as if the closer I come to the truth, the more irrational and reflexive Jim
becomes. In fact, that's becoming a good way for me to test how close I *am*
to the truth. When I hit on something that Jim can't deal with, he becomes a
broken record. 'Russell, your morality is subjective.' 'I know it is, Jim,
but so is yours. If you think your morality is objective, prove that it is.'
'AHA! You've admitted that your morality is subjective! All my logic falls into
place now! I'm so clever! Look at me, world!' And so on. It's really quite
entertaining."

> Jim Bell, one of many adversaries Stewart has faced, commented, "It's
>been a long, rather frustrating debate. But we have finally established the
>point that began this entire dialogue, namely, that materialist morality
>cannot condemn other people's behavior. That is because, by definition, it is
>not objective, universal or eternal." Bell, celebrating at his home, is
>considering a run for national office.

You certainly have the ego and the irrational attitude for it.

| Russell Stewart |
| http://www.rt66.com/diamond/ |
| Albuquerque, New Mexico | diamond@rt66.com |

2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.