Re: ICR and its slurs

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 13:05:38 -0400

At 12:19 PM -0400 6/2/97, Brian D Harper wrote:
>In fairness to Russell I would like to point out that Russell has
>shown an admirable restraint in *not* applying the logic to
>Christianity which has been applied to his own position. In fact,
>Bill's last sentence [But Christianity can be misapplied, as can other
>religious/philosophical systems, including yours.] has been a point
>Russell has been trying
>to get across over and over.

Agreed. My point was that _Christians_ (and in some cases those who claim
to be Christians) are to blame for the atrocities that have been committed
over the years, not Christianity itself. It is our observance that is
flawed, not Christianity itself. Russell's view is that all moral systems
are subjective. Mine is that Christianity is an objective moral system --
one that we as Christians do not always observe as we should, but that's
our fault, not the fault of the system. (I really hate calling Christianity
a system. It's our fault rather than the fault of Jesus Christ)

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr, Ph.D. | Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems | General Motors R&D Center | Warren, MI
William_E._Hamilton@notes.gmr.com
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX) | whamilto@mich.com (home email)