Re: ICR and its slurs

Russell Stewart (diamond@rt66.com)
Tue, 27 May 1997 21:53:28 -0600

At 07:35 PM 5/27/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Russell writes:
>
><<Jim, you have courageously and cleverly tricked me into admitting
>the blindingly obvious, something which I have never denied in the
>first place: that my moral philosophy is subjective. Now, by a
>tremendous leap of logic, you claim that your moral philosophy is
>superior to mine on the grounds that it is objective, rather than
>subjective.>>
>
>It was no trick, just a simple exercise in debate. And while I did accomplish
>my purpose, it appears you've failed to recognize what it's really been all
>about. I never said my moral philosophy was superior to yours. Indeed, I am
>delighted that you have borrowed moral capital and behave has a moral person.

Translation: "I don't think my moral philosophy is superior than yours, I
simply think that my moral philosophy is the foundation of yours and everybody
else's." This is even more arrogant than what I thought you were saying, and,
more importantly, it is still just your opinion.

>The debate has not been about MORAL equivalence, but rather logical coherence.

And you have failed to hold up your end of it. You continue to dodge the
central issue by failing to meet the standard by which you hold me to.

>The point is that, as a materialist, you are living inconsistently.

In your opinion.

>Once
>again, I refer you to my post "Consequences of Materialist Standard," because
>all of the arguments are there--none of which you have responded to.

None of them provided a logical basis for your claim that Judeo-Christian
morality is truly objective. That is the central issue here, and you have
not yet dealt with it.

><<All I ask of you is this: prove to me, logically and consistently,
>without appealing to authority, that your Judeo-Christian moral
>philosophy is truly objective and can logically be proven to apply
>to all humanity.
>
>You have your assignment.>>
>
>Sorry, teach, but I don't take assignments anymore. I work on a purely
>volunteer basis. And I'm going to have to resist your offer to open up a whole
>new debate.

This isn't a "whole new debate", it is distillation of the central issue
of the debate we have been engaging in all along. And I'll just have to take
your failure to deal with it as an admission of defeat.

| Russell Stewart |
| http://www.rt66.com/diamond/ |
| Albuquerque, New Mexico | diamond@rt66.com |

2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.