Re: ICR and its slurs

AdrianTeo@mailhost.net
Wed, 28 May 1997 10:12:07 -0700

Russell Stewart wrote:

> At 02:56 PM 5/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >Russell Stewart wrote:
> >
> >> There is no such thing as an "objective moral standard". Christianity doesn't
> >> have it any more than materialism does.
> >
> >Just let us all recognize that that is your personal opinion.
>
> Actually, no, it is Jim's opinion that Christianity *does* have an objective
> moral standard. If he wants me to believe that his opinion is a fact, he has
> to make an effort to prove that it is.

The statement about no such thing as an objective moral standard is an
opinion of yours, undeniably. That was my point, nothing else.

> >It is a
> >valid position to take, but I have yet to meet a person who makes that
> >same claim and live (not just talk) consistently with it. At some point,
> >you are going to stand for something that you believe to be right,
> >thereby implicitly acknowledging the reality of an objective moral
> >standard.
>
> Apparently not, since I *do* stand up for things that I believe to be right.

And thus demonstrating the inconsistency of your behavior and your
belief system. When we talk about right and wrong, we have an implicit
expectation that others should think likewise as well (applies to
actions as well). I assume you do as well, or otherwise, you wonuld not
even bother with moral discourses at all. Cognitive dissonance is
common, but people deal with it in different ways.