Re: Oldest Stone Tools and Intelligence

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 22:08:35 -0600

At 08:55 PM 3/13/97 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:

>Since Glenn carefully selects the "field", he ensures that he will
>always win.

Sometimes I didn't think you noticed that I was winning! :-)

[snip]

>'Once modern humans became established there was a veritable
>explosion of innovation. Painting, engraving, and tool manufacture
>changed so quickly that archaeologists divide the periods from
>thirty- five thousand years ago to ten thousand years ago into six
>separate cultural periods, each with its own style of technology and
>innovations. David Wilcox points out that by contrast the Neandertal
>populations displayed cultural stasis like Homo erectus. The
>Mousterian tool culture that they developed appeared around one
>hundred thousand years ago and remained basically uniform across
>Europe for sixty-five thousand years. The modern humans that
>apparently replaced the Neandertals were, in less than half their
>tenure, walking on the moon!' (Wilcox D., "Created in Eternity,
>Unfolded in Time," manuscript in preparation, St. Davids, Penn:
>Eastern College, 1990)., chap. 7, p16, in Templeton J.M. & Herrmann
>R.L., "Is God the Only Reality?", 1994, p135)

Concerning Wilcox's views, I would refer anyone interested to my letter in
Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Sept, 1996, p. 212

His material was quite outdated averaging something like 12 years old, thus
his conclusions were also outdated.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood