Re: Oldest Stone Tools and Intelligence

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Thu, 13 Mar 97 20:55:45 +0800

Jim

On 04 Mar 97 15:13:57 EST, Jim Bell wrote:

GM>Of Christian apologetical view, mine is the only one which can
>easily incorporate such discoveries

JB>You get 10 points for brass, 0 points for humility...and negative
>points for accuracy!

Well put. I sometimes wonder if Glenn's actually believes what he
writes? But then, since he systematically ignores alternative views
except those that he thinks he can beat, from his self-limited
perspective, he is right in his own eyes at least. In fact this type
of "best-in-field" argument is a stock-in-trade of Darwinists, even
Christian ones. Macbeth asks:

"Is there any glory in outrunning a cripple in a foot race? Being
best-in-field means nothing if the field is made up of fumblers"
(Macbeth N., "Darwin Retried", 1978, p77)

Since Glenn carefully selects the "field", he ensures that he will
always win.

GM>...new discoveries, that Homo erectus was a hunter, not a
>scavenger and that some hominid lived in Siberia, 300,000 years ago,
>has shown that ancient man was far more intelligent and resourceful
>than was previously believed.

JM>In fact, all discoveries which push such hominid activity backward
>in time burst your balloon. As with the Oldowan stone tools that go
>back 250,000 years more than previously thought, you have to explain
>the greater and greater un-human-like stasis that the record
>reflects. Further, your "technological dark age" becomes
>increasingly untenable. It looks as if it was not a dark age at
>all, but merely an age without human-like innovation.

Yes. The discoveries of the emergence of hominid intelligence
revealed in developing technology "300,000 years ago" only underlines
the bankruptcy of Glenn's 5.5 mya Australopithecine/Homo habilis/Homo
erectus Adam theory.

The real difference between these "hominids" and modern humans is
seen in what the latter have done in only 35,000 years:

'Once modern humans became established there was a veritable
explosion of innovation. Painting, engraving, and tool manufacture
changed so quickly that archaeologists divide the periods from
thirty- five thousand years ago to ten thousand years ago into six
separate cultural periods, each with its own style of technology and
innovations. David Wilcox points out that by contrast the Neandertal
populations displayed cultural stasis like Homo erectus. The
Mousterian tool culture that they developed appeared around one
hundred thousand years ago and remained basically uniform across
Europe for sixty-five thousand years. The modern humans that
apparently replaced the Neandertals were, in less than half their
tenure, walking on the moon!' (Wilcox D., "Created in Eternity,
Unfolded in Time," manuscript in preparation, St. Davids, Penn:
Eastern College, 1990)., chap. 7, p16, in Templeton J.M. & Herrmann
R.L., "Is God the Only Reality?", 1994, p135)

JB>So it is fancy, not fact, that leads to "mine is the only one..."
>Archaeological discovery and hermeneutical uncleanliness defeat you
>from two sides at once.

Yes. Glenn's theory is not even dead - it had to be originally alive
to have earned that honour!

God bless.

| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 9 448 7439 (These are |