Re: design: purposeful or random?

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:38:56 -0600

At 11:14 PM 2/24/97, HavenerJP@aol.com wrote:
>Actually.. any system can organize mater and not run afoul of the 2nd Law of
>Thermo as long as it causes more randomness overall in the universe by doing
>so.
>
>Example, humans can build a car.. an orderly thing.. but in doing so we
>expend so much energy that the entropy of the universe actually increase far
>beyond the small bit of orderlyness we create in the car.
>
>Havener

You are preaching to the choir here. I fully agree with you and do not
think evolution is contrary to the second law. I was responding to Steves
note that said that Gish and Wilder-Smith had never used the 2nd law argument.

As a point of fact, a randomly chosen sequence has more information in it
than an ordered sequence. In this, evolution requires the second law for
the generation of complexity and information.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood