Re: Irredeemably tainted words.

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 22:52:21

Jim Bell wrote:

>Loren:
>
>Enjoyed your flight of fancy on tainted words. But really, no word in our
>time--except perhaps "abortion"--has so much baggage attached to it. I mean,
>"Quantum Mechanics" was not the subject of a trial in 1925, or a
>propogandistic movie starring Spencer Tracy, or lawsuits by the ACLU.
>
>So, let's keep "logic" (God is rational) and "law" (who wrote the 10
>Commandments?) and all those other nice, reliable words.

This is an incredible misrepresentation of history. According to Jim, not
only do we have an uncertain future, but also we have an uncertain past. The
ACLU did not file suit against Tennesse, but Tennessee filed suit against
Scopes and Scopes lost.

It was not the evolutionists who passed the law in Tennessee outlawing the
teaching of evolution. It was the christians who lobbied the legislature to
stop someone from teaching their children something. (As if you can prevent
your children from hearing someing disagreeable) It was the Christians
who lobbied the district attorney to sue Scopes for teaching evolution after
he stated that he had. Scopes was convicted of this dastardly deed and the
Christians were gleeful. They had won their case but lost the war.

In other words, if Christians had been a little more tolerant, the whole thing
might not have blown up in their face.

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm