Re: No Tears for Neanderthal

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 00:09:08

Stephen wrote:

>>JB> As for the "flute": "The three Slovenian archeologists who
>>made the discovery addressed, and reasonably dismissed, the idea
>>that the holes might have been bored by the teeth of a large
>>carnivore rather than by a bipedal primate. However, the seem to
>>overlook some more obvious considerations. The bone was found near
>>a hearth with charcoal and many burnt fragments of animal bones.
>>One of the holes goes all the way through the bone and the other
>>does not.
>
>IMHO this almost certainly rules it out as a flute, or even a
>whistle. I am not a musician, but AFAIK wind instruments rely on
>asymmetry of hole spacing for musical effect. Something with a hole
>drilled right through it sounds like an ornament with a cord passed
>through it, or some sort of implement.

I don't know how many times I must say this but there is no hole drilled all
the way through it. But i bet we will soon find this "fact" in Christian
books.

>JB>These facts suggest at least some likelihood that the
>>bone was an instrument for lighting fires (by twirling a twig in or
>>through one of the holes with a bow). The holes may result from
>>the bone's use as a hammer head or an axe head. Other
>>possibilities abound. Most importantly, the researchers apparently
>>did not construct a bear femur flute according to this bone's
>>specifications to test whether or not it is capable of producing
>>music....
>
>This is exactly what I suggested to Glenn. It is difficult to
>understand why they don't carry out this simple test.

"In addition, dance and song leave no traces at all, and such things as
reed-pipes, wooden instruments, and stretched-skin drums will have
disintegrated; however, a few musical instruments have survived from the Upper
Palaeolithic--there are about 30 'flutes', spanning the Aurignacian and
Gravettian (18), the Solutrean (3) and the Magdalenian; a handful come from
Hungary, Yugloslavia, Austria and the USSR, but most are from France, with 14
from the supersite of Isturitz alone. The majority are broken; the French
ones are made of hollow bird-bones, while the eastern specimens are of
reindeer or bear-bone; they have between three and seven finger-holes along
their length, and are played like penny-whistles rather than true flutes.
Experiments with a repolica by a modern musicologist have revealed that, once
a whistle-head is attached to direct the air-flow, one can produce strong,
clear notes of piccolo-type, on a five-tone scale. "Paul G. Bahn and Jean
Vertut, Images in the
Ice, (Leichester: Windward, 1988), p. 68-69

Of course you will make this same charge again Because you made it before;