Re: Morton v. Ross

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 00:08:16

>On Sat, 07 Dec 1996 18:09:08, Glenn Morton wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>GM>You are correct that animals do dress up their homes, but they do
>>not make any type of symboling art in which the art REPRESENTS an
>>object. The Makapansgat pebble has two naturally occuring faces on
>>it. One looks like an australopithecus, the other like humans.
>>This pebble was picked up and carried for at least 3 miles back to a
>>cave. The reason we know this is that the closest source for this
>>kind of pebble is 3 miles NE of the cave. The object REPRESENTS
>>something, a hominid face.(K. P. Oakley, "Emergence of Higher
>>Thought 3.0-0.2 Ma B.P.", Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B, 292,
>>205-211 (1981), p. 205-206)
>
>As I have pointed out, but which Glenn ("the overwhelming silence")
>Morton :-) just ignores, this kills stone (no pun intended!) dead his 5.5
> mya Noah theory. A necessary corollary of Glenn's theory is that after the
>Flood, all technology was lost, otherwise he cannot explain the
>total lack of archaeological evidence for 5 mys. But as the
>title of his paper indicates, Oakley is using the "Makapansgat
>pebble" to show that "Higher Thought" was only emerging "3.0-0.2 Ma
>B.P."

I don't see how your conclusion fits. As I have pointed out over the past two
years to you a small population can live for a long time and not appear in the
fossil record. Once again here is the first and second appearances of various
things in the fossil record. In most of these cases the second appearance was
at one time considered to be the oldest when a new oldest was found. there is
no evidence of the animal's existence in between the first and second
occurrence.

The problem is statistical. Any object you find which becomes the earliest
occurrence is usually way, way before the previous earliest occurrence. I
have collected a bunch of examples.

earliest life on land
1.2 billion year old hollow filaments Arizona-oldest
800 MYR hollow filaments California
Horodyski and Knauath Life on Land in the Precambrian Science Jan 28, 1994 p
173

Caecilian bones
earliest 175-180 MYR
second 100 MYR
Farish A. Jenkins and Denis M. Walsh "Rare Fossils of Enigmatic Amphibian"
Science News 138 Oct 27, 1990 p. 270

Dinosaurs
oldest 240 MYR tracks from France
Oldest fossil 228 MYR from South America
turkey sized dinosaur tracks Ft Wingate fm New Mexico 225 (Oldest on North
America)
200 mry track from North carolina (second oldest on North america)

Matt Crenson "Geologists report oldest sign of Dinosaurs in NOrth America
Dallas Morning News, May 9, 1994, p. 8d

tarsiers
oldest Eocene from China
second oldest early miocene 30 million years later

oldest turtle 60 million years earlier than the previously earliest turtle
Eugene S. Gaffney Jame W. Kitching The Most Ancient African Turtle Nature May
5, 1994, p. 55

birds Archaeopteryx 147 myr
sinornis santensis 139 mil
Las Hoyas bird 132 myr
ambiortus dementjevi 125 myr
Paul C. Sereno Rao Chenggang Early evolution of Avian Flight and perching
Science feb 14 1992 p. 845

Oldest maya farming 4500 yr
second oldest Maya farming 3000 year
B. Bower Maya beginnings extend back at Belize site, jScience News, April 30,
1994

Since earliest examples of everything are always being found, it is highly
unlikely that we ever have found the very earliest example of anything.
Recently there was a case of finding the earliest evidence of weaving at
80,000 years I beleive. Previously the earliest had been 19,000 I think. I
don't have time to find that reference.

>[...]
>
>>GM>The next piece of art is the golan Venus which we have talked
>>about. Microscopic analysis proves that it was man-made. It
>>represents the female form.
>
>Glenn also ignores my posts which indicate that Marshack is not now
>claiming that the "golan Venus" is the first example of art. He is
>now claiming that for an etching dated only 54 kya,000-year old, from
>Quneitra, Israel (see "Early Etchings", Discover, Vol. 17, No. 7,
>July 1996, p26)

See my post on my previous response to this ridiculous and sophmoric charge.

>BTW, in a previous post, Glenn, in order to salvage his 5.5 mya Noah
>theory, claimed that the Golan Venus was not the work of adults. Now
>he is claiming it is "sexy". Which is it to be?

No Stephen this is totally wrong.
on