Re: pure chance

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Sat, 04 Jan 1997 15:52:12

Brian wrote:

>Yockey mentions exactly the type situation you are discussing above.
>
> "The third position in eight of the familiar triplet codons in the
> set space G^3 may vary indefinitely among the four nucleotides
> in either DNA or RNA alphabets without changing the read off
> amino acid. The specificity of these codons is defined by the first
> two nucleotides"
>
>With respect to the authors conclusions, it is obvious I think that a
>mutation in the third position of these eight codons would not
>change the information content regardless of the frequencies of
>the codons involved.

This is a nitpick but a change in the third position of the codon would not
change the information content of the protein but it could change the
information content of the DNA depending upon condon frequency.

Is this not correct?

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm