Re: How long must we wait?

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 19:07:09

Oliver Beck wrote:

>No, it wasn't. You said that observations contradict what I call the clear
>meaning of the bible. I apologize for not having spoken clearlt enough.

and

>I didn't confuse you with Randy. My question was: You said you cannot
>advocate an interpretation which requires that what you see with your own
>eyes is false. I think this 'traditonal' interpretation th eonly way to
>understand this part of Scripture and I want to know which observations
>you thinkto be contraditory to it.

I will assume that you mean by this a creation of the universe 6,000 years ago
or so, in 6 24 hour days, followed by a global flood 1600 years later. That is
what the traditional view means in this country. I will start with one thing,
the age of the universe. If we continue, we can go on to other subjects.

First, the thing wrong with this view is that the universe has every
appearance of being significantly older than 6000 years. Direct triangulation
of objects out to 12 million light years had been accomplished. This means
that the light would require 12 million years to reach earth.

As you are aware, when a supernova explodes, it ejects a shell of gas. The
distance to M81 via triangulation of expanding shell of SN1993J has been
measured as follows:

At 8 months old, the shell moving at 16,000 km/s ring had a
diameter of 478+/- 8 microarc sec. Sept. 26, 1993.
On Nov. 22, 1993, the ring had diameter of 581+/- 35 microarc seconds.
This calculates a distance of 3.8+/- .8 Mega parsecs to the supernova. a
parsec is 3.26 light years so this works out to 12.4 million light years.

see J. M. Marcaide et al, "Discovery of shell-like radio-structure in
SN1993J", Nature, 373, Jan. 5, 1995, p.44-45. .

Compare this to what creationists say about astronomy.

"Thus, the Biblical cosmology is quite consistent with the idea
that some of the distant galaxies may be billions of light years
from the earth. On the other hand, there is no way that
astronomers can measure such distances directly. The greatest
distance that can be measured directly by methods of triangulation,
using the two extremes of the earth's orbit as end points on a base
line, is about three hundred light years."
"Greater distances than this require a series of esoteric
assumptions related especially to certain stars known as Cepheid
variables, in particular the relation between the frequency of
their pulsations and their brightness, both apparent brightness and
intrinsic brightness."~Henry M. Morris, Biblical Basis for Modern
Science, (Grand Rapids: Baker Bookhouse, 1984), p. 173.

"Many do not realize that the farthest direct age/distance
measurement we can make in the universe is limited to about
three hundred light years, done by triangulation using the
diameter of the earth's orbit as a baseline. All age/distance
measurements beyond that are indirect, and are based on
assumptions which may or may not be valid)."~Marvin L. Lubenow,
Bones of Contention, (Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1992), p. 201

These guys don't know what they are talking about. In spite of data to the
contrary, they continue to teach these untrue things.

If you try to say that the speed of light has changed, I can provide evidence
from supernova 1987a that it has not changed for the past 169,000 years. And
direct triangulation of objects around that star show that it is 169,000
light-years away.
glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm