Re: How long must we wait?

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 05:23:43

Oliver Beck wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Glenn Morton wrote:
>
>> Of science and the Bible Randy Landrum wrote:
>>
>> >I care about both. Can't one, for instance, like peanutbutter and jelly?
>> >also care (like I am sure many others) about the dangers of the
>> >propagation of bad science or rather religion which really is not science
>> >but rather sticking a high brow label on a sow's ear. Some say it's
>> >creation other say it's evolution.
>>
>>I too care about both.If the Bible is not historically true,then I have real
>>problems.But I cannot see how it is beneficial to advocate an interpretation
>> of the Bible which requires what I can see with my eyes to be false.
>
>First,it is not only an interpretation of the bible.The bible speaks for
>itself.

I thought that is what I said immediately above your reply. We can't be
advocates for an interpretation of the bible which requires that I ignore
observational evidence.

>Second : What do you see which is incompatible with this 'interpretation'
>of the bible ?

I think you are confusing me with Randy or meant this post for Randy. I am
the one who laid out a major problem with one of the dating evidences of the
YECs. I personally see almost all scientific evidence against the young earth
position and know that nearly all of their arguments for a young earth will
not stand up to detailed scrutiny.

>> This
>> forces me to choose between what I see or what I believe. To me it is a
> matter
>> of getting our facts straight. A case in point is Whitcomb's and Morris'
>> juvenile water argument for the age of the oceans.
>>
>>[discussion deleted]
>
>It seems to me you don't make any difference between what the bible is
>saying and the theories which YECs have built on it. One should always
>distinguish between the facts taught by the bible and the scientific
>theories by which we want to describe the facts of nature according to the
>bible. The direct creation of everything is an example of the former, the
>water canopy around the earth before the flood of the latter.

Once again, I think you are confusing Randy's views with mine. I know that
there is a difference between what the Bible says and what the YEC theories
propose. See my web page.

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm